2018 BD Outdoors Offshore Shootout Rules
August 10, 11 & 12, 2018
- It is the Team Captain’s responsibility to read and fully understand the rules before the start of the tournament. It is the responsibility of the Captain to ensure his team members and boat are fishing within the Tournament Rules. Any breach of these rules by ANY team member or captain will result in TEAM Disqualification.
- The Entry Fee for the Tournament is $350 USD per team of up to 3 Anglers, additional anglers may be added to the team for $110 USD each when paid in full by 8/03/2018. After 8/03/2018 the team registration fee will be $350 and $125 per additional angler and includes anglers registered at the captains meeting. There will be a maximum of Eight Anglers per team. Every person on competing boats shall be considered an Angler. All passengers aboard must be PAID Tournament Anglers, no spectators/guests are allowed.
NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN AFTER August 03, 2018
It is the Captain’s responsibility to contact email@example.com for refund before the date above.
One team member shall be designated as Team Captain. Team Captains may reserve paid angler slots at time of registration but must have angler names and contact info submitted before the end of the captain’s meeting on August 10, 2018. To register crew that is not yet determined please fill the angler spaces as TBA. Angler fees must be paid at time of registration and final Angler info can be submitted at Captain’s Meeting.
Captains must submit final registration information for the entire team before 8pm on August 10, 2018 at the captains meeting.
Failure to check in at the captains meeting 8pm(PST) will result in immediate disqualification and no refund will be issued for any reason.
The Tournament Committee reserves the right to refuse entry or remove any person or team at any time at their sole discretion without formal notice.
- Team Captain’s must report to the mandatory Captain’s Meeting on Friday, August 10, 2018 between 5:00 – 8:00 PM. The Captain’s Meeting will be held at:
2580 Ingraham St.
San Diego, California 92109
- Teams may make registration changes, if necessary, provided Tournament Control is notified before the end of the Captain’s Meeting. Please try to make all changes in ADVANCE of the Captain’s meeting by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Tournament boats may depart from Mission Bay, San Diego Bay, Oceanside Harbor, Dana Point Harbor or Newport Harbor. ALL FISH MUST BE WEIGHED AT EITHER DANA LANDING or HARBOR ISLAND FUEL DOCK. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Lines in shall be Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 5:00am.
- Bait Fishing is allowed before lines in. No other lure, jig, or line specifically rigged for any game fish is allowed in the water before lines in. Any tournament eligible by-catch must be released.
- Weigh-In – All fish must be weighed at an official tournament weight station. Either Dana Landing Fuel Dock in Mission Bay or Harbor Island West Fuel Dock in SD Bay between 3:00pm and 6:00pm on the tournament day. ANY FISH CAUGHT BUT NOT WEIGHED IN BY 6:00PM TOURNAMENT DAY SHALL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN.
The Weigh Rules are:
- Each team may weigh up to six (6) fish total. The five (5) highest scoring fish will be used to determine total team points. Up to five (5) marlin releases may be scored.
- Fish must be brought to the scales on the boat on which they were caught (no walk ups). Boat’s wishing to weigh fish, may not leave the water at any point before weighing in.
- Boats lined up to weigh will be served in the order in which they arrive
- Fish must arrive at the dock in fresh, edible and whole condition. No mutilated fish will be weighed or count for score.
- The Team Captain must remain with the fish throughout the weigh-in process.
- Boats must be in line and out of gear at exactly 6PM to qualify.
- Before leaving the scales, the Team Captain must verify weight information and sign the official Weigh-In Slip.
- In order to maintain tournament integrity, each boat will be given an Official Tournament Camera. At the time of Lines In, a picture must be taken of an object that will be announced at the Captains Meeting.
Every qualifying fish must have a picture with the angler and the fish immediately after being removed from the water.
All marlin hookups must be called into tournament control immediately. At this time, tournament control will request a photo of a specific item. Prior to release the marlin must be photographed with bill in hand and immediately called into tournament control. Failure to comply with any of these criteria will disqualify that fish from the tournament.
BD Outdoors STRONGLY encourages the release of all marlin. Any marlin killed after following the procedure above WILL still qualify as a tournament fish. Again, PLEASE make every effort to release ALL marlin. No marlin will be weighed at the weigh-in locations.
Upon weighing in, the Official Tournament Camera must be returned at the tournament weigh-in location. Cameras containing marlin catches must also be returned to either weigh station by boat, in compliance with weigh-in rules above. It is the team captain’s responsibility to ensure their camera is returned at the time of weigh-in.
No payouts will be given until the BD Outdoors Tournament Committee has picture verification and/or a polygraph test is completed.
- The tournament winners will be determined by the highest total points scored from five (5) eligible fish.The point system will be as follows:
- Marlin Release – 50 points each
- Yellowfin Tuna, Bluefin Tuna, Albacore Tuna, Bigeye Tuna , Skipjack Tuna – 1 point per pound
- Yellowtail and Dorado – 2 points per pound
- Opah or Swordfish – 200 points
- The payout schedule will be.
PLACE CASH PRIZES
1st Place $5,000 Prizes TBD
2nd Place $2,500 Prizes TBD
3rd Place $1,250 Prizes TBD
4th Place $750 Prizes TBD
5th Place $500 Prizes TBD
**Total Purse is based upon 100 teams participating. If less than 100 boats enter, the payouts will be adjusted proportionally.
- There will be three (4) separate Optional Side Team Jackpot categories:
- Largest Qualifying Fish Weighed – $100, $200, $300 (Yellowfin Tuna, Bluefin Tuna, Albacore Tuna, Bigeye Tuna , Skipjack Tuna, Yellowtail, Dorado, Opah or Swordfish)
- Best Team Score Overall – $100, $200, $300
- Largest Tuna Jackpot – $200
- Most Marlin Releases – $1000, $2000, $3000
Participation in the jackpots is available to all interested teams, but is NOT mandatory. The Side Jackpots are WINNER TAKE ALL format. Jackpots are 75% payback. If no qualifying fish are caught for any of the three jackpots, 75% of that jackpot’s fees will be returned to the respective teams. Side Jackpot fees may be paid in advance with Entry Fee or paid at the Captain’s Meeting. If paying the jackpot fees at the Captain’s Meeting, you MUST pay by cash, cashier’s check (payable to BD Outdoors, LLC) or credit card.
- All anglers must have a valid California and/or Mexican fishing license and observe ALL California and Mexican regulations.
- IGFA rules will apply in the Tournament unless specifically modified in this document. IGFA rules are incorporated herein for reference.
- The use of harpoons/spears/spearguns, entangling devices or firearms is prohibited. Use of spotter planes, drones or contact with commercial fishing vessels is prohibited.
- The fishing boundaries shall be within 100 nautical miles of the Point Loma Lighthouse.
- In the event of rough seas or weather, the Tournament may be postponed until conditions permit and at the discretion of the “Tournament Committee”. In the event that the fishing must be postponed, the tournament banquet will go on at its regular date of August 12, 2018.
- Accepting fish or bait from another source, boat or otherwise, live or dead, is prohibited. The only exception being commercial bait boats or bait barges.
- Weighing fish caught during non-tournament days and/or placing any foreign substance/object inside a weighed fish shall be automatic grounds for disqualification from the Tournament.
- Any anglers attempting to defraud the tournament will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of California law.
- Any intent of protesting a violation of the Tournament Rules must be made in writing to the Tournament Committee on the day of the alleged violation by 9PM. If there is any disagreement, controversy or necessary clarification of any tournament rules, the final decision will be made at the sole discretion of the Tournament Committee.
- No one under 18 years of age may participate in the Tournament unless accompanied by a parent or guardian nor may they be a team captain.
- The Tournament Committee or BD Outdoors, LLC is not responsible for the actions, of any persons in the operation boats, conduct of fishing endeavors, transfer of personnel, fishing equipment or personal property on or off boats, docks or otherwise. Each participant assumes all risk and liabilities in connection with their participation. There will be no responsibility borne to any of the promoters, event organizers or sponsors as a result of inappropriate conduct by any of the participants or guests and that each individual participant will hold harmless The Tournament Committee and BD Outdoors, LLC.
- Polygraph Examination – All registered participants agree to submit to a polygraph examination if requested to do so by the Tournament Committee. Failure to comply will result in the disqualification of the participant and his or her entire team. Disqualified participants and/or teams forfeit any and all entry money, prizes, prize money or jackpot money, and are refused entry to future BD Outdoors tournaments. The decision of the Tournament Committee is final.
- Cash Awards – Prize payouts will be made payable to the team members in equal amounts. Any other disbursement of funds must be submitted in writing to the Tournament Committee. Prize checks will only be paid upon receipt of 1. Proof of identification 2. Copy of social security card or Taxpayer ID number and 3. A completed IRS Form 1099 from each of the requested payees. All payments will be made within 30 days of submission of the above required documents.
Infringement of these rules shall be considered cause for disqualification. FINAL interpretation of these rules shall be left exclusively to the Tournament Committee.
For any questions related to the tournament rules, contact tourneys@BDOutdoors.com